Robert Maalouf, CSCS FMSC CPT CF-L1
Owner - Personal Trainer
Le Gym by Robert Maalouf
With all the latest improvements and innovations in technology, it has become increasingly easy to lead a sedentary lifestyle. Not only are most of our jobs sedentary, but we spend the rest of our free time on our gadgets such as smart phones or surfing the web on laptops. These actions have led to a dramatic increase in various health problems ranging from diabetes to heart disease. It is evident that we need to become more active as a population if we want to preserve our health. Not all of us have the time to commit to a gym, work with a personal trainer or play sports, but nevertheless taking small steps to increase your activity level will have a positive impact on your health. Below I will outline some easy tips that will increase your activity level and guide you on the path to a healthier you.
- Try to walk whenever possible, avoid using a car if you are traveling a short distance.
- Take the stairs instead of using escalators and elevators.
- Purposely park your car a little farther and walk to your destination.
- Stand up and walk around while talking on your mobile phone.
- Enjoy playing with your kids, grandkids, or nephews. Playing with young children can be a fun way to keep you active.
- Try and plan family gatherings that include activities such as: walking, hiking, swimming, canoeing, or playing sports for fun.
- Try to give yourself at least 30 minutes a day where you disconnect from electronics. Take this time to enjoy going for a walk, meditating, light stretching, or deep breathing.
There you have it, seven steps to a more active and healthier you! Every step will do your health a huge favor, and even if you only apply one of the steps, you will still be healthier than you were before. You do not need to do all of them at once, try starting with 2 or 3 of my suggestions and build up slowly. Start now and stay active and healthy!